Christopher W. Carr | Partner
Chris Carr’s experience includes general counsel experience for a publicly-traded company, and large and small firm private practice. He has practiced law in Dallas, Texas for more than twenty years, and has represented some of the firm’s clients for nearly twenty years. He takes pride in helping them solve any and all of their legal problems, practically and efficiently.
Mr. Carr has provided legal services to clients in several industries, including:
- Chemical, environmental and recycling services
- Healthcare and medical devices
- Construction and transportation
- IT and software consulting
- Finance and banking
- News media
His business practice includes advising start-ups, creating and expanding business entities, advising clients regarding corporate governance, risk management and legal compliance, assisting his clients in the purchase and sale of equity and assets, and contract negotiation and review.
His litigation and conflict resolution practice includes appearances in state and federal courts across the country. He employs aggressive and creative strategies designed to achieve the best possible results. Mr. Carr's litigation experience includes business and personal injury disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants, with an emphasis on claims involving:
- Partnership, shareholder and employee disputes
- Negligence and product liabiity
- Breach of fiduciary duties and fraud
- Breach of contract
- Officer and director liability
- Property disputes
Mr. Carr has been willing to share his clients’ risk through contingency arrangements in certain matters.
Representative Litigation Experience
- Prevailed and recovered attorneys' fees in arbitration proceeding involving commercial dispute where the claimant alleged breaches of various contracts, as well as fraud, and sought damages exceeding $7 million.
- Successfully tried trademark infringement and breach of contract state court case in which opposing party sought permanent injunction preventing client's use of a service mark and trade name.
- Successfully tried state court case involving bad faith retention of a security deposit by a landlord wherein client was awarded actual damages, statutory treble damages, and attorneys' fees.
- Obtained multi-million dollar judgment in trial of a bankruptcy adversary proceeding involving officer and director liability and breach of fiduciary duty with regard to the management of a public company.
- Represented Swiss bank in arbitration proceeding in which opposing party sought nearly two million dollars in damages but recovered less than $200,000.
- Defended contractual arbitration claims to a take nothing award in a seven-day arbitration proceeding when identical claims were the subject of a claimant's award in a previous and nearly identical hearing involving a different law firm.
- Conducted case planning, discovery, pretrial briefing, oral argument, and witness and case preparation for successful state court jury trial resulting in over $400 million verdict in fraud, tortious interference with contracts, and prospective business relation and civil conspiracy case. The judgment was later overturned on appeal.
- First chair jury trial experience in numerous cases.
- Satisfactorily obtained resolution by settlement of numerous (100+) disputes for plaintiffs and defendants.
- Complex Litigation and Trial Tactics, (Co-Author), Continuing Legal Education (May 2002)
- Lawyers on Loan, Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, Vol. 24, No. 3 (March 1, 2000)
- Practical Tips: Avoid Lawsuits and Limit Liability (November 1999)
- Sudden Death: The Supreme Court of Texas Kills Mary Carter, 24 Texas Tech Law Review 1227 (1993)
Awards and Distinctions
- Texas Tech Law Review (1992 - 1994)
- Texas Tech Law Review, Note Editor (1993 - 1994)
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Torts
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Contracts
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Criminal Law
- Recipient, American Jurisprudence Award in Public International Law
- Texas Monthly "Super Lawyer" (2005 - 2013)