Jeffrey F. Wood | Partner
Jeff Wood practices primarily in the area of toxic tort and product liability defense, medical malpractice defense, regulatory and administrative law in connection with state licensing board/regulatory proceedings for nurses and physicians, commercial litigation and premises liability. Mr. Wood both leads and actively participates in all aspects of representative client services, including forming and implementing litigation strategy and tactical procedures, legal research, motion practice, hearing advocacy, settlement negotiations and alternative dispute resolution, trial preparation and attendance and appellate matters. Mr. Wood serves as national coordinating and trial counsel on behalf of a chemical service and handling, recycling and re-refining company in product liability and toxic tort cases filed across the country in state and federal courts.
Additionally, Mr. Wood represents hospital entities, physician groups and individual healthcare providers in medical malpractice cases in Texas, and counsel’s institutions and healthcare providers in situations involving federal privacy regulations, corporate document retention, human resources, pharmaceutical and equipment contracts, advanced directives, hospital security and plant operations, patient/employee/visitor safety, new clinical technologies, and state and federal regulations. Mr. Wood has also represented healthcare providers in state board licensing and disciplinary proceedings.
Mr. Wood joined Jones Carr McGoldrick in February 2001, having first practiced insurance defense litigation, including defense of personal injury suits and direct suits against insurance companies under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act and Texas Insurance Code. Mr. Wood has been an equity shareholder in the firm since 2008.
- Participated in a 3 week toxic tort, product liability jury trial in Los Angeles, CA which resulted in a mistrial due to violation of pretrial rulings by Plaintiffs’ counsel two days before closing arguments. Case ultimately settled prior to re-trial for less than 30% of the final pretrial demand, and less than 10% of the demand at mediation.
- Participated in a toxic tort, product liability jury trial in Manhattan, NY which settled after jury selection for less than 20% of the demand at mediation.
- Obtained unanimous defense verdict in Texas medical malpractice jury trial on behalf of a hospital in alleged wrongful death case involving alleged improper replacement of dislodged feeding tube in a 24-year-old patient who later died from peritonitis. Plaintiffs' counsel sought jury award of $30 million, including punitive damages.
- Defended hospital in jury trial to a plaintiff's verdict below pretrial high-low settlement agreement, which followed the post-operative death of a knee replacement patient allegedly resulting from hospital's failure to follow written order of physician for pulse oximetry monitoring. Pretrial settlement demand was several times the size of the actual verdict, and one of healthcare provider defendants we represented was found by the jury not to have violated the standard of care.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of hospital in a jury trial, premises liability case involving injury to a visitor at the facility.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of a Defendant involved in a motorist accident in East Texas.
- Defended trucking company and driver in personal injury jury trial in East Texas to a plaintiff's verdict of less than one-fourth of the amount of damages requested at trial and less than one-half of Plaintiff's pretrial demand.
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of North Texas business owner in jury trial of premises liability case wherein Plaintiff alleged on-site injury resulted in total disability.
- Handled numerous successful appeals as lead appellate counsel in multiple medical malpractice and premises liability cases.
- Successfully defended numerous motorists and business owners in personal injury cases in small claims and justice court jury trials.
- Participated as “trial counsel” in several jury research exercises including mock trials and focus groups.
- Satisfactorily obtained resolution by settlement of more than 150 cases, including negotiated settlements and settlements obtained via alternative dispute resolution.
- Satisfactorily represented physicians and registered nurses in Texas licensing board proceedings.
- Texas Defense Verdict in Feeding Tube Mishap (co-author) Risk Watch, Vol. 64 (January 2006)
- Presented: Risk Management Applicability of Proactive and Preemptive Approach to Claims and Lawsuits, Association of Corporate Counsel (January 2008)
- Brewster v. Columbia Medical Center of McKinney Subsidiary, L.P. 269 S.W.3d 314 (Tex. App.- Dallas, 2008, no pet.).
- Stewart v. Columbia Medical Center of McKinney Subsidiary, L.P., 214 S.W.3d 659 (Tex. App. - Dallas 2007, pet. denied).
- Jackson v. CHCA Conroe, L.P., No. 09-05-441-CV, 2006 WL 3627027 (Tex. App. - Beaumont 2006, pet withdrawn).
- Shell Oil Co. v. Baran, 258 S.W.3d 719 (Tex. App.- Beaumont, 2008, pet. abated).
- Union Carbide v. Loftin, 256 S.W.3d 869 (Tex. App.- Beaumont, 2008, pet. abated).
- TTHR, L.P. v. Coffman, 338 S.w.3d 103 (Tex. App.-Ft. Worth, 2011, no pet.).
- Jain v. Stafford, 214 S.W.3d 94 (Tex. App.- Ft. Worth, 2006, pet. denied).
- Suleman v. Brewster, 269 S.W.3d. 297 (Tex. App.- Dallas, 2008, no pet.).
- House v. Jones, 275 S.W.3d. 926 (Tex. App.- Dallas, 2009, (no pet.).
- Presbyterian Community Hospital of Denton v. Smith, 314 S.W.3d 508 (Tex. App.- Ft. Worth, 2010, no pet.).
- Abilene Regional Medical Center v. Allen, 387 S.W.3d 914 (Tex. App.- Eastland, 2012, pet. denied).
- Parra v. Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. 2104 WL 12623696 (U.S. Dist. M.D. Florida- Ft. Myers, 2014).
- Quillen v. Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. 2009 WL 10676636 (U.S. Dist. E.D. Kentucky- Frankfort, 2010).
- Campos v. Safety-Kleen Systems, Inc. 98 F. Supp.3d 372 (U.S. Dist. Puerto Rico, 2015).
Awards and Distinctions
- Texas Monthly Super Lawyers: Rising Star 2009, 2014-2015
- American Jurisprudence Award in Legal Research and Writing, Labor Law
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award – Legal Research and Writing, Oil and Gas
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Dallas Bar Association
- Foundation for Lovejoy Schools, Board Member
- Lovejoy Professional Network, Incorporator/Member
- Plano Sports Association, Allen Sports Association- Volunteer youth sports coach