Wesley S. Alost | Partner
Wes Alost specializes in the defense of toxic tort, premises liability and products liability claims before state and federal courts throughout the country. He is part of a trial team that aggressively and efficiently prepares each case, always mindful of the client's goals and bottom line. He has represented both large and small corporations in claims involving industrial minerals and chemicals, welding consumables, electrical components, elevators, escalators, and moving walks. Frequently, such claims involved allegations of catastrophic personal injury or death.
Mr. Alost has also represented various contractors in the prosecution and defense of construction claims, including suits and claims based upon breach of contract and construction delays. His broad experience also includes commercial litigation, professional liability actions, personal and commercial auto liability litigation, and maritime law.
Mr. Alost joined Jones Carr Mc Goldrick in August 2007.
- Defended industrial minerals producer in hundreds of toxic tort suits involving personal injury and wrongful death claims.
- Defended premises owner in wrongful death and personal injury toxic tort suits, including claims for neurological injury and death from welding fume exposure.
- Represented process piping fabricator in multi-jurisdictional litigation against natural gas compression plant owner and general contractor, asserting breach of contract claims in excess of $1.5 million.
- Defended several independent insurance agencies from third-party claims under professional liability policies.
- Represented elevator manufacturing and servicing company, both in defense of scores of personal injury and wrongful death claims, as well as in the prosecution of numerous construction and service contract claims.
- Represented publishers' advertising representative in month-long jury trial against magazine publisher and related corporate entities, including preparation of all post-trial motions and successful appellate pleadings.
- Obtained jury verdict, including attorneys' fees, on behalf of homeowners in breach of warranty and DTPA action against door and casement window manufacturer, including preparation of all post-trial motions and successful appellate pleadings.
- Defended electrical component manufacturer in both premises and products liability claims involving personal injury, wrongful death, and property damage allegations.
- Represented association of businesses in the hospitality industry in defeating attempt by the Regional Transit Authority to impose sales and use tax on hotel occupancy in the New Orleans region, including preparation of successful appellate pleadings.
- Defended owner of tanker truck struck by commercial freight train in Webster Parish, Louisiana in personal injury suit brought by train crew.
- Defended numerous personal injury suits, many including catastrophic loss claims, on behalf of commercial and personal auto liability carriers.
- Hendrian v. Safety-Kleen Sys., Inc., No. 08-CV-14371, 2015 WL 4770966 (E.D. Mich. Aug. 13, 2015)
- Union Carbide Corp. v. Loftin, 256 S.W.3d 869 (Tex.App. - Beaumont 2008)
- Shell Oil Co. v. Baran, 258 S.W.3d 719 (Tex.App. - Beaumont 2008)
- Regional Transit Authority v. Kahn, 742 So.2d 960 (La.App. 4 Cir. 1999)
- Wicker v. Ford Motor Co., 67 F.Supp.2d 623 (E.D. La. 1999)
Awards and Distinctions
- Named a "Texas Rising Star" in Texas Monthly magazine for 2005, 2006, 2008 and 2010
- Articles/Book Review Editor of Loyola Poverty Law Journal, 1996 - 1997
American Bar Association, Litigation Section
State Bar of Texas
Louisiana Bar Association
Dallas Bar Association
- Director At-Large, Board of Directors
- 2014 Co-Lead Chair, Bench/Bar Conference Committee
- 2012 Chair, Public Forum Committee
- 2010 Co-Chair, CLE Committee
- 2008 Co-Chair, Courthouse Committee
- Professionalism Committee Member
- Mock Trial Committee Member