James McGoldrick is a Dallas based trial lawyer who joined Jones Carr McGoldrick as an equity owner in 2002. He successfully pursues a targeted approach to lawsuits and other disputes from day one, whether it’s efficiently and aggressively preparing a case for trial, or creatively resolving a dispute in a manner calculated to serve a client’s business or legal strategy.
Trial and Litigation Experience
Mr. McGoldrick regularly appears in state and federal courts throughout the United States. His trial and litigation experience includes successful representation of the following types of disputes and industries:
- Chemical, chemical recycling, industrial cleaning and environmental services, including serving as national trial and coordinating counsel for the nation’s leading company in this arena.
- Product liability, manufacturing defect, aviation, fraud, negligence, chemical exposure, industrial accident and toxic tort lawsuits involving catastrophic injury, death and claims for punitive damages, including successful product liability jury trials in California and New York involving benzene and other chemical exposures.
- Environmental disputes such as groundwater and property contamination, including defeating all causes of action alleged in a groundwater contamination case involving chlorinated chemicals.
- Complex commercial and business disputes, including successful prosecution of a Texas fraud and breach of contract aviation case featured in America’s Top 100 Verdicts.
- All manner of contract cases, including successful defense of a case seeking huge lost profits on the purchase of 670 tank rail cars, a case seeking substantial consequential damages for a client’s alleged failure to contractually comply with the California Air Resource Board’s Ozone Depleting Substance Protocol thereby preventing plaintiff from selling carbon offset credits it had already contracted to sell, and a jury verdict finding no breach of professional services agreements by a client whose jury-awarded counterclaim dwarfed the original amounts in controversy.
- Covenants not to compete, including successful defense of a lawsuit by an international transportation solutions and services provider alleging breach of covenants not to compete, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with contractual and business relations, and theft of proprietary information and trade secrets.
- Successfully defended trucking companies and drivers in jury trials, including one of the nation’s largest ready-mix concrete companies and preeminent building materials companies in suits ranging from catastrophic vehicular accidents to construction site accidents.
- Successfully defended hospitals, physicians, physician groups, nurses and other professionals in jury trials throughout Texas.
- Risk Management: Applicability of Proactive and Preemptive Approach to Claims and Lawsuits, Association of Corporate Counsel, Dallas, Texas (January 2008)
- Expert Admissibility and Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Benzene Litigation, Mealey’s Benzene Litigation Conference, Santa Monica, California (June 2007)
Awards and Distinctions
- Selected as a “Rising Star,” a Thomson Reuters service printed in Texas Monthly (2008-2011)
- Selected as one of “America’s Premier Lawyers,” an America’s Premier Lawyers service printed in Fortune magazine (2007)
- Working knowledge of Arabic